(BPT) - With millions of Americans looking for employment, and the population now balancing different roles at home such as an employee, parent or caregiver, teacher and more, there is an increasing need for more jobs with flexible work schedules. Many are taking an opportunity to learn about the benefits of hourly employment. Not only do hourly positions offer flexibility, they also can set many up for a successful and productive career down the line.
Did you know that 90% of The Home Depot’s store leaders began their careers as hourly associates? When searching for hourly employment opportunities that could lead to a long-lasting career, it helps to choose a workplace with a good track record of providing a positive employee experience. The company, known for offering competitive benefits and opportunities to both empower and challenge employees, made both the top 100 on Comparably.com's list of Happiest Employees 2020, and was also named in Forbes’ 2020 “Best Employers for Diversity” list. The list of advantages to these types of hourly jobs does not stop there.
Variety of positions
Whether you're looking for part-time or full-time employment, employers offering a variety of positions across different departments are worth exploring, to both challenge and amplify personal passions or skill sets.
The Home Depot, for instance, offers a wide range of positions, both in-stores and in distribution centers. These positions focus on everything from customer service in-store, fulfilling online orders to be picked up by customers or unpacking overnight freight and merchandising. Distribution center roles involve replenishing store inventory, placing and shipping orders. Across all positions, many opportunities are available to play to different employees’ capabilities and strengths.
Safety at work
The Home Depot puts the safety and well-being of its associates and customers at the forefront of everything they do, while continuing to serve communities with the products they need. Over the past year, the company has implemented additional safety measures, both in their stores and distribution centers. With these new safety measures, the expansion of associate benefits has also increased, including:
- Daily health checks for associates.
- Requiring all associates and customers to wear non-medical face masks in stores and at their facilities and providing non-medical face coverings to all associates.
- Enhancing cleaning measures throughout all stores and facilities.
- Promoting social and physical distancing practices in stores by marking floors, adding signage and offering plexiglass shields between associates and customers.
- Preparing for a safe spring selling season by widening aisles for easier social distancing and providing a variety of convenient shipping and pickup options for customers.
Meaningful core values
Aligning with a company’s core values when job searching is an important part of the application process. One of The Home Depot’s biggest core values is taking care of its people. Last year, the company invested approximately $2 billion in enhanced compensation and benefits for associates, including offering emergency sick time and paid time off for all frontline associates. The company also transitioned from temporary to now permanent COVID-19 benefits and compensation enhancements for frontline hourly associates.
Other top benefits offered by The Home Depot include:
- On-the-job training and development opportunities
- Back-up care for dependents
- Tuition assistance available from the first day
- Flexible schedules to fit associates’ unique life needs and shorter commutes, thanks to their wide footprint of over 2,000 stores and distribution centers across the U.S.
- A “Take Care of You” program, which helps associates stay balanced and healthy, with resources like at-home workouts, meditations and more
- Celebrate professional successes through the “Success Sharing” program — a financial reward program for associates when the company has a successful performance each half of the year
Interested in learning more about open roles within The Home Depot? Visit Careers.homedepot.com/hiring today, or apply by texting "JOBS" to 52270.