HERB: Summer Savory
Growing an herb garden? Try summer savory, an easy to grow annual herb that will add beauty and bounty to your garden. This herb is a companion plant for onions and also helps deter the Mexican bean beetle.
Summer savory is a familiar herb and native to the Mediterranean, but many gardeners are probably not as familiar with this fresh garden herb.
This herb is now available at Richardson's Farm. Richardson Farms 6984 Lafayette Road Medina Ohio 44256 Richardson-Farms.com
• Satureja hortensis L.
• Annual, Hardy Annual
• Plant Family: Lamiaceae
• Origin: Mediterranean
• Gray green, inch long leaves
• Grows 12 inches high, spreads to 24 inches wide
• Small purple flowers in July through September
• Related: winter savory
How To Grow
Buy plants or sow seeds after frost or seed indoors 4 weeks before last frost. Grows quickly.
• Full Sunshine
• Rich, moist soil
• Well drained soil
• Harvest stems fresh
• Harvest and dry stems
• Harvest seed pods to sow
• Grow plant indoors over winter
How To Use
• Bean and rice dishes • Chicken, fish, burgers, turkey • Dressings • Eggs • Infusions for oils, vinegars, butters • Marinades • Pickling • Pizzas • Potatoes • Salads • Soups • Stuffings