AngelaHuston@zoominternet.net   CRHuston@zoominternet.net

On October 24, The Rotary Club of Brunswick hosted Government Day, a long-standing annual tradition of more than 25 years at which time community citizens and students have the opportunity to learn more about how local government works.

More than 100 guests, including many students collectively from St. Ambrose's eighth grade and Brunswick High School, enjoyed a buffet breakfast following the invocation delivered by Pat Carlson, the Pledge of Allegiance led by Bill Wilkinson, and the singing of "God Bless America" directed by Don Kammer.

Rotary President James Collins welcomed everyone, gave a shout-out to a number of people, and thanked everyone for attending this important meeting. Collins briefly described what Rotary is: an international group that began in Chicago 100 years. He pointed out that 85 percent of funds raised by the local club's efforts stay in Brunswick; the other 15 percent goes towards global goals such as eliminating polio in the world.

Collins then invited James Horn, Marsha Pappalardo, Wilkinson, and Tiffany Safran to make other important announcements about: the status of the Dictionary Project (more than 8,000 given to third grade students in the district since the program's inception); the upcoming Jingle Bell Gala (November 14); the Thanksgiving Day project that features preparing special food and gift baskets for five needy families; preparing and delivering meals to shut-in seniors Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve Day; and the Josh the Otter Water Safety Program that has already served more than 8,000 Kindergarten children in the district.

In addition to community and international projects, Rotary supports a long list of charitable organizations that include Brunswick Educational Foundation, Feeding Medina County, HANDS Foundation, Hospice of Medina County, The BEAT, Brunswick Food Pantry, and many others.

Carl DeForest introduced guest speaker J. Matthew Lanier, a prosecuting attorney who was raised and still lives with his wife and children in Medina. Lanier told the audience he recognized as a very young child, on his first day of school on the bus, that he had a desire to "stay in line, follow rules, and follow a straight and narrow track in his life."

In his comments, Lanier cited the valuable impact of Rotary's Four Way Test: Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build goodwill and better friendships? Will it be beneficial to all concerned? These are the same guide lines by which he lives his life and practices his profession.

During his speech Lanier shared examples of uniquely interesting cases that defined many legal terms, such as the difference between pleading guilty, pleading not guilty, and pleading no contest. He entertained questions from the audience after his presentation.

In addition to socializing and working together on numerous service projects, Rotary gives its members the opportunity to join other area leaders to act on important issues affecting the community, the nation, and the world.

Anyone interested in learning more about the organization may contact: The Rotary Club of Brunswick, P.O. Box 252, Brunswick, Ohio 44212.